You Can Put A Plate In The Air Fryer Which is Made of Safe Material
I remember the first time I ever used an air fryer. I was so excited to have this new kitchen appliance because it promised to be a healthier way to fry food.
But when I went to put a plate of food in it, I realized that I didn’t know what kind of dish or plate I could use. I didn’t want to ruin my new air fryer, so I did some research and found out that there are actually a few different types of dishes and plates that you can safely use in an air fryer.
In this article, I’ll use my own experience and research to answer the question: “Can you put a plate in an air fryer?” I’ll also explain what kind of dishes and plates are safe to use in an air fryer, as well as what you should avoid putting in your air fryer.
So, if you don’t want to ruin your new air fryer or inadvertently start a kitchen fire, read on to find out what you can and cannot put in an air fryer!
What Safe Dishes and Plates Can You Use in an Air Fryer?
Before we get into what kind of dishes and plates you can use in an air fryer, I want to give a quick overview of how an air fryer works.
An air fryer is a type of countertop appliance that uses hot air to cook food. To use an air fryer, you first need to preheat it. Then, you add your food to the air fryer basket and set a timer.
Once the timer goes off, you can either remove your food from the air fryer or leave it in to cook for a bit longer.
Now that you know how an air fryer works, let’s talk about what kind of dishes and plates you can use in it.
Generally speaking, and to answer the question posed in the title of this article, you can put a plate in an air fryer as long as it is oven-safe and can withstand high temperatures.
Because an air fryer essentially works like a mini oven. It uses hot air to cook food, so the temperature inside the air fryer can get quite high.
So, what kind of dishes and plates can withstand high temperatures?
Some examples of oven-safe dishes and plates that you can use in an air fryer include:
- Metal dishes
- Ceramic dishes
- Glass dishes
Basically, any dish or plate that can go in the oven can also go in an air fryer. However, there are a few exceptions that I’ll discuss in the next section. Keep reading to find out what you should avoid putting in your air fryer.
Can I Put a Paper Plate in the Air Fryer?
No, you should not put a paper plate in the air fryer. While it’s true that paper plates are oven-safe, they are not made to withstand the high temperatures that an air fryer can reach.
So, what will happen if you put a paper plate in the air fryer? Here are a few potential outcomes:
The Paper Plate Could Catch on Fire
I know, it sounds dramatic. But it’s actually a possibility. If the paper plate gets too close to the heating element in the air fryer, it could catch on fire. Think of it like this: would you put a piece of paper in a toaster oven? Probably not. The same logic applies to an air fryer.
The Paper Plate Will Soak Water
Another potential outcome of putting a paper plate in an air fryer is that it will soak up water from the food.
Cellulose, which is a major component of paper, is hydrophilic, meaning it attracts and holds water molecules. However, paper plates are coated with a thin layer of wax to prevent them from absorbing water.
But when exposed to high temperatures, that wax coating will break down, and the paper plate will soak up water from the food. No one wants soggy food, so it’s best to avoid putting paper plates in the air fryer.
Chemical Compounds in the Paper Plate Could be Released
You might not know this, but paper plates are made with harmful chemicals, most notably bleaches and dyes. When exposed to the intense heat of an air fryer, those chemicals can be released into your food.
So, not only will your food be soggy, but it could also be poisonous if you eat it. In short, out of all the things you should avoid putting in your air fryer, paper plates are at the top of the list.
Can You Put a Glass Plate in an Air Fryer?
You can put a glass plate in an air fryer as long as it is oven-safe. However, you should be careful when using it as the glass can shatter or explode if it is exposed to sudden changes in temperature.
To avoid this, I would recommend the following:
- Don’t put the glass plate in the air fryer when it is cold. Allow it to come to room temperature first or pre-heat it with mild hot water. This will help to prevent thermal stress.
- Put the glass plate in the air fryer before adding any food. This will help to evenly distribute the heat and prevent the glass from shattering.
- Don’t use a glass plate that is too large for the air fryer. It should be able to fit comfortably without touching the sides or heating element.
- Always check the label to make sure the glass plate is oven-safe. If it isn’t, don’t use it in the air fryer.
Following these guidelines, you should be able to use a glass plate in your air fryer without any problems. Just be sure to exercise caution and use it safely.
Can You Put a Ceramic Plate in an Air Fryer?
Yes, you can put a ceramic plate in an air fryer. Ceramic is a type of material that can withstand high temperatures, so it won’t get damaged in the air fryer.
However, there are a few things you should keep in mind when using a ceramic plate in an air fryer.
First, make sure the ceramic plate is oven-safe. Some ceramic plates are not made to withstand high temperatures and can break or shatter if exposed to too much heat.
To be safe, always check the label to see if the ceramic plate is oven-safe. If it isn’t, don’t use it in the air fryer.
Second, be careful with patterns and designs. Some ceramic plates have intricate patterns or designs that can be damaged by the heat of the air fryer. I would recommend using a plain ceramic plate to avoid this.
Lastly, be aware that ceramic plates can get very hot in the air fryer. Use caution when handling them and always use oven mitts or gloves.
Can You Use A Silicone Plate In Air Fryers?
Another option is to use a silicone plate in your air fryer. Silicone is a heat-resistant material that can withstand temperatures up to 440 degrees Fahrenheit (227 degrees Celsius). This makes it safe to use in the air fryer, as the temperature of air fryers only reaches 400 degrees Fahrenheit (204 degrees Celsius).
Here are a few things to keep in mind when using a silicone plate in an air fryer:
- Be sure that the silicone plate is BPA, BPS, and phthalate-free. You don’t want to contaminate your food with harmful chemicals.
- Check the label to make sure the silicone plate is heat-resistant. Some silicone plates are not made to withstand high temperatures and can melt or warp in the air fryer.
- To be safe, always check the label to see if the silicone plate is oven-safe. If it isn’t, don’t use it in the air fryer.
- Ensure that the silicone plate is big enough to fit in the air fryer without blocking any of the vents. If the vents are blocked, the air fryer won’t work properly.
- If you’re using a silicone mold, shake it occasionally during cooking to prevent uneven cooking. This is because silicone is a poor conductor of heat so the food can cook unevenly.
Can You Put Pyrex in the Air Fryer?
A quick Google search will tell you that yes, you can put Pyrex in the air fryer. Pyrex is made from borosilicate glass, which is a type of heat-resistant glass. This means that it can withstand high temperatures and you can use it in the oven or microwave.
However, there are a few things you should keep in mind before you put Pyrex in the air fryer:
- Check the thermal capacity of the glassware. The thermal capacity is the temperature that the glass can withstand before it breaks. Pyrex has a high thermal capacity, which means it can withstand high temperatures.
- Check the thickness of the glass. Pyrex is usually made with thick glass, which makes it more durable. However, if the glass is too thin, it might break in the air fryer.
- Preheat the glassware before you put it in the air fryer. The temperature of the air fryer can fluctuate, so it’s important to preheat the glassware to prevent it from breaking.
What Can You Not Put in an Air Fryer?
Now, let’s talk about what you can’t put in an air fryer. Here are a few things to avoid:
- Plastic: Plastic can melt in the air fryer and contaminate your food.
- Paper Towels: Paper towels can catch on fire in the air fryer.
- Sauces: Sauces can splatter and make a mess in the air fryer.
- Cheese: Cheese can melt and burn in the air fryer.
- Water: Water can cause the air fryer to malfunction.
Can You Put Metal in an Air Fryer?
Yes, you can put metal in an air fryer. As long as the metal is ovenproof, it will be fine in the air fryer.
What Kind of Safe Bowl You Can Put in the Air Fryer?
There are a few safe options for bowls that you can put in the air fryer: ceramic, glass, and silicone. All of these materials are heat-resistant and won’t break or melt in the air fryer. If the bowl is oven-safe, using it in the air fryer should be fine.
Can You Put Cardboard in an Air Fryer
No, you cannot put cardboard in an air fryer. Just like paper plates, the cardboard will go soft and stick to your food under high heat. Parchment paper is a better option for lining the air fryer basket.
So, what’s the bottom line? Can you put a plate in an air fryer?
The answer is yes! However, the plate must be oven-safe and able to withstand high temperatures. If you’re unsure whether your plate is oven-safe, contact the manufacturer for more information.
When using any type of dish in the air fryer, I recommend checking it often to prevent any accidents. And always make sure the dish is big enough to fit in the air fryer basket without touching the sides.
Now that you know what can and cannot go in the air fryer, it’s time to get cooking! With a little bit of trial and error, you’ll be a pro in no time.
And if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment below and I’ll be happy to help.
My love for food was influenced by my brother, a chef at a 2-star Michelin restaurant, and we often exchange food knowledge together. It’s been 12 years since I first stepped into the kitchen, and with my vast experience and expertise, I will share many ideas on how to make dishes more delicious!